Management Accounts Assistant
Due to a restructure of our Finance department, we are looking for a dedicated individual to join our busy Accounts team in the role of Management Accounts Assistant. The Management Accounts Assistant will be located in our head office in South Essex, near Lakeside, working within a team of 15 staff handling all matters relating to the accounts within Cruise & Maritime Voyages.
The Management Accounts Assistant will be required to work within a team environment, but also have the ability to work on their own initiative. They will need strong interpersonal skills and have the ability to present information in different formats. They will also need to have the ability to work under pressure and manage their own priorities; which is a key requirement of the role.
This role would suit a motivated and meticulous candidate with excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise a demanding workload. Previous experience working in the Cruise/Travel finance sectors would be an advantage.
The Management Accounts Assistant will report directly to Harpreet Phlora (Assistant Group Accountant), and ultimately to Georgina Self (Group Accountant) who heads up the Department.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Assistant Group Accountant will manage, supervise and allocate the following duties and responsibilities:-
- To review and analyse the current financial system in place and implement new procedures and changes.
- Collate, analyse and present accurate management information to senior management.
- Responsibility for the day to day running of all finance reporting ensuring that all financial information that is produced is correct and accurate.
- Sound knowledge of VAT rules and regulations.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- General ad hoc accounts work within the Department.
- Knowledge of Sage 200 and experience working with accountancy software will be an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook Email.
- To have a full UK driving licence and own transport.
- Ability to do overtime as and when required – standard office hours are 0900 to 1730.
- To be a team player and also be able to work on your own initiative.
- To be well groomed and dressed in the work place.
- To have a happy, enthusiastic and organised approach to your work, which can be demanding, but rewarding, during peak periods of the season.
Following a probationary period, a basic guideline salary of £18,000 to 20,000 per annum commensurate with experience will be offered and reviewed annually in December (Starting from 2017).
A standard three month probationary period will apply based on an annual salary of £18,000 pro-rated accordingly, subject to three written references.
Once engaged with us full-time, a one month notice period will be required, should either party wish to terminate the relationship, however during the probation, a one week notice period on either side will apply.
Standard office hours are Monday to Friday from 09.00 to 17.30hrs. A day off in lieu will be provided for Saturday/Sunday working, as advised by the Line Manager and subject to staffing rota. At the discretion of the Line Manager, ‘paid’ overtime may also be considered instead of the day off in lieu.
During the week, extra hours worked in the morning or evening beyond the standard working hours, overtime will not be paid.
For non-contracted additional weekend overtime, a day off in lieu will be provided for each full day worked. At the discretion of the Line Manager, overtime may also be considered instead of the day/s off in lieu based on a pro-rata basis at the daily or half daily salary rate. In the event of extended overtime hours beyond the full day a flat rate of pay will apply and thereafter increased, if an overnight is required.
All overtime must be approved in advance by the Line Manager.
A minimum 22 days per annum, increasing to 28 days according to length of service, pro-rated accordingly plus bank holidays will apply. Holiday requests will need to be completed and submitted to the Line Manager via our online system. At least one month’s notice should be given, where possible, in order to arrange appropriate cover.
- A workplace pension scheme - following three months of continuous service.
- Concessionary travel with CMV – following six months of continuous service.
- Staff discounts on selected travel products.
- Business mileage can be claimed at 0.25pence per mile and company expenses can be claimed, subject to approval by Line Manager and completion of the Company’s standard expenses claim form and full substantiation with all receipts.
CMV is a progressive company who encourage organic career development and enjoy a low turnover of staff. This position offers a good career opportunity for an ambitious and creative individual to join a largely non-corporate, medium sized and privately owned organisation. Unlike many other UK based cruise operators, CMV’s UK office is not just a sales operation but a fully-fledged and ‘hands on’ cruise line closely aligned to both the product and customer.
CMV also have established sales offices in Australia, USA and Germany and are estimated to carry 120,000 ocean and river cruise passenger in 2017.
In addition to the core cruising business, the Company also have other travel and leisure related interests within the group. These include a long established coach wholesaling business, a high street travel agency and business travel house with an overall shore side team of 25 staff.
This is an exciting time to join CMV as we enter into a rapid growth plan with the addition of a new ship to our fleet, Magellan (joined in March 2015). We have also just announced that we will be acquiring another new vessel to the CMV fleet; Columbus will be joining the fleet in 2017 and will take our cruise capacity to 90,000 passengers, an increase of 20%. The Management Accounts Assistant will play a play a pivotal role within the Finance team in meeting the company’s objectives and goals.