Head of Logistics & Destinations
This is a key Head Office management role and a member of the Senior Management Team.
You will manage the Operations Team of Far Frontiers Expeditions (FFE). You and your team will ensure excellent timely, efficient and cost-effective operational delivery, with full industry compliance, on a company-wide basis while keeping all stakeholders happy and informed at all stages. You will also be responsible for managing our destination portfolio.
Your role includes but is not restricted to:
- Line management and day to day motivation of the Operations team to ensure safe, efficient and cost-effective delivery and post expedition review of our overseas school expeditions which meet the needs and expectations of all stakeholders
- Continual professional development of your team including appraisals, training & tasks
- Company compliance with travel industry, educational, BS8848 and DofE regulations
- Implementation and maintenance of FFE Operations policy and procedures
- Country and expedition risk assessments, threat analyses and contingency planning
- Overall coordination of and responsibility for expedition delivery
- Liaise with Accounts Manager to maintain / improve individual expedition finances
- General management decision making and troubleshooting
- Build an excellent relationship with our client schools and work with the Head of Sales to ensure repeat business
- Management, training and contracting of freelance expedition leading staff
- New destination itinerary management and production
- Matrix management of the FFE Head Office team for tailored changes to existing itineraries
- Create the company duty rota, join the duty team, contract and liaise with our incident support company Pharos Response and our UK based first line Office Response
Please note that while we will provide training in our own processes, you will not be able to fulfil this role without proven team management experience and travel industry operations knowledge.
In addition you need to be a good communicator at all levels – one minute you could be liaising with the Bursar of a large school, the next you might be talking to a Nepalese administrator. The operational delivery of our expeditions abroad together with threat, risk and contingency is your responsibility. You must be able to make calm and rational business decisions when multi-tasking under pressure. You will also have incredible attention to detail and be happy to work with minimal supervision.
- There will be a shared use of company pool cars for business use
- Our destinations sometimes require recce trips abroad which will be fully expensed
- Personal development plan and regular appraisals
- Selected outdoor equipment company staff discounts of between 15%-35%
- We will provide Gold DofE Assessor training if necessary
We are currently based in a small, friendly office in the Cotswolds, although a move to Cheltenham in 2018 is under review.
Our expeditions operate during all school holidays, especially June-August, April-May and October school breaks. The months before expedition departure are exceptionally busy.
You may be required to assist your team with the presentation of parent information evenings on occasional weekday evenings. With your team you will manage and present our expedition leaders’ brief which is usually on a Saturday in May. There is also a requirement for out of hours phone and/or office expedition support during school holiday periods.
Our offices are usually closed between Christmas and New Year and you will be required to take some of your annual leave at this time. Our standard office hours are 40 per week, and the office is open 8.30am to 5.00pm Mon–Fri excluding bank holidays, with 30 days’ holiday a year including bank holidays. This is a full time role and salary is negotiable.
Apply for Head of Logistics & Destinations
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly