Freelance and Limited Period Appointment Tour Managers
UK Countryside Tours Ltd is a small, specialist tour operator mainly servicing the North American market for small group tours. We specialise in curating exceptional cultural experiences for prestigious and demanding clients. Our tours take groups all over Britain and cover Arts and Culture, History and Heritage and Houses and Gardens. Our tours are led by experts in their field of very high calibre and of international standing. We use high quality accommodation and hospitality and our tours visit exceptional venues where our guests often have specialist, behind-the-scenes and privileged access. Our tours need to be faultless in their logistics and organisation, ensuring exceptional levels of service to our guests. This is where you come in. If you are very organised, flexible and insist on getting excellent results in your work and have an eye for detail and a feel for excellence, we offer a variety of freelance and limited period assignments.
The post holders will form a small pool of contractors and part-time staff who can be assigned to support specific tours. Typically, there is quite a long lead in for tours of up to a year or more, but some flexibility may be required. You will be given responsibility for the day to day management of a tour, liaising with the Tour Leader, transport, accommodation and hospitality providers, venue managers and guests. You will ensure excellent planning, first class delivery and seamless and unflappable problem-solving. All of our tours are planned by expert planners in consultation with academics, speakers, venues and clients. Your task will be to ensure the highest quality visitor experience is delivered in practice.
Your day-to-day duties may include:
• welcoming the tour group and telling them about the travel arrangements and stopover points
• making sure accommodation, meals and service are satisfactory
• helping with passport issues
• anticipate the groups' movements and needs to effectively and promptly respond and accommodate any requests
• advising on sights, local restaurants and shops at each destination
• recording issues that may require follow-up after the tour
• giving advice, thinking on your feet, remaining calm and solving problems and dealing with emergencies like loss of passports or money, illness or difficulties with accommodation
- You are an exceptionally-well organised person who plans their time well, understand the importance of detailed event and activity plans and can work on their own initiative to achieve high quality work.
- You will have experience in an operational role supporting high quality travel programmes serving international markets or you will have worked in comparable roles in other sectors, such as events management, corporate hospitality or as a PA to senior executives
- You have a broad understanding of Britain, its culture and hospitality sector and have a clear understanding of quality service, customer service and standards compatible with serving a demanding international clientele.
- You will have first class interpersonal skills, with a professional demeanour, excellent communication skills, approachability and unflappable problem-solving skills.
- You will be flexible and willing to travel for the duration of a tour (typically 7-10days) once assigned and be completely reliable. As a member of a small team of tour managers, the flexibility to cover for absences occasionally at short noti ce would be an advantage.
- A knowledge of, or interest in, Britain’s culture, cities and countryside, the arts and culture, history and heritage and country houses and gardens would be an advantage, but expert knowledge is not required.
- A competitive day rate or pro-rata salary will be paid for each assignment reflecting the commercial value, scale, complexity and duration of the tour.
- The opportunity to work with, travel and interact with expert tour leaders, prestigious speakers and hosts; with staff in high quality venues, hospitality and accommodation and with discerning travellers associated with prestigious client institutions.
- Expenses associated with the role are paid and you will also be given real responsibility for handling operational matters on your assignments.
- UK Countryside Tours believes that high quality tours rely on exceptional professional engagement in planning and delivery and our commitment to training and development reflects that.
How to Apply
Please send a full, up to date Curriculum Vitae and a short covering letter addressing additional points explaining how you meet the Person Specification to:
UK Countryside Tours Ltd
Unit 3b Cromford Creative
Or by clicking "Apply Now"
Applications should be received by midday Monday 23rd April 2018.