Head of Operations Department
3 days left
- Contract Type
The successful candidate will take responsibility for the day-to-day running of the Operations Department ensuring that our holidays run effectively. In addition, duties will include - responding to telephone and email enquiries, confirming client information to our suppliers overseas, writing descriptive holiday itineraries, planning and selling tailor made holidays and travelling abroad to research and develop new trips.
Mountain Kingdoms is a specialist adventure travel company that has been offering trekking holidays for over 30 years. Steve Berry, our MD, set-up the company, originally as Himalayan Kingdoms, and still runs it today. Over the last 10 years we have increasingly diversified our holidays beyond the Himalaya, and as a result changed our name from Himalayan Kingdoms to Mountain Kingdoms in October 2008. We also now offer a range of Cultural Tours, Adventure Cruises and Trekking Peaks in addition to our core walking and trekking holidays.
We are members of AITO (the Association of Independent Tour Operators) and IATA (International Air Transport Association), and we are also ATOL (Air Travel Organiser's Licence) Bonded.
We have a small team of 14 staff: 8 full-time and 6 part-time and are now seeking to recruit a full-time Head of Operations. Details of this role and its responsibilities are provided on the Job Description overleaf. To apply for this post please submit a CV and covering letter, outlining why you feel you are suitable and what attributes you could bring to our team.
The successful applicant will assume the responsibilities of being Head of our Operations department. At present the department is made up of three Operations Managers plus two Operations Assistants.
- Taking full responsibility for running the department and making decisions on the handling of day-to-day functions including any issues, should they arise.
- Along with our Managing Director, you would be a key person in any case of emergency. You will need to be familiar with any emergency procedures and conduct training exercises as required.
- Organising regular two weekly Operations Department meetings to discuss new developments, new ideas, and destination/department related concerns and to keep the team up-to-date.
- Signing off holiday requests and ensuring there is always adequate cover in the department.
- Liaising with the Managing Director to ensure he is kept informed of department developments.
- Ensuring quality control of all our products.
- Handling of complaints. Investigating complaints, finding solutions and communicating with our clients and agents.
- Performing the function of being a Senior Operations Manager. Handling your share of group operations. This will involve:-
- Handling client enquiries by phone and email. Taking bookings.
- Planning Tailor-Made itineraries, calculating prices, quoting clients and servicing bookings.
- Collation of client information and emailing final booking confirmation to agents and suppliers overseas.
- Day to day liaison with overseas agents, accurate tracking and filing of all client and supplier information.
- Writing and editing descriptive Day by Day itineraries and client information booklets; producing written information for brochures, newsletters and website as required.
- Research and develop new trips, including: overseas reconnaissance, written reports, creating/amending itineraries, production of client information.
- Attending travel shows and promotional events (usually weekends), trip leading (if suitably experienced/qualified).
Required Skills and Experience:
- Overseas trekking and adventure travel experience
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong eye for detail
- Excellent IT skills, particularly Excel & Word
- Ability to prioritise & manage multiple priorities
- Personal travel knowledge of Asia, S America, Africa, Europe
- Previous experience of working in the travel industry
Responsible to: Steve Berry – Managing Director
Hours of Work: 0900-1730 Mon-Fri (including one hour for lunch)
Holidays: 20 days & national holidays (plus one extra day at Christmas)
Salary: £24k-£26k pa depending upon experience, plus bonus (subject to business performance)
This post is subject to a three month probationary period
You can submit your application either by post to:
Mountain Kingdoms Ltd
20 Long Street
Wotton under Edge
Or alternatively by email by clicking "Apply Now"
The closing date for applications is 23rd July 2018 and those selected for interview will be notified no later than 31st July 2018.
Apply for Head of Operations Department
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly