To plan, organise, and direct the preparation and cooking of food, ensuring that the Schools reputation for quality and variety is enhanced with all customer groups.
To work in conjunction with the Catering Manager and our Kitchen Manager at our Preparatory School to create, new menu initiatives, further extend healthy diets, and develop skills set within the catering team.
To expand and promote function and event catering to diverse client groups. Tailor individual menus and ingredients in liaison with the Catering Manager, specific to each event and the clientele.
To ensure full compliance with all legislative and Health and Safety requirements with the kitchens.
- To supervise and be actively involved in the daily preparation, production and service of attractive, balanced nutritious meals.
- In conjunction with the Catering Manager and Catering Administrator, to oversee the ordering of food ingredients and monitor stock levels. Also, to advise and provide feedback to the Catering Manager on quality of ingredients purchased.
- Jointly with the Catering Manager, to take responsibility for budgetary control of menus served; both on a day to day basis, as well as in relation to special events and external lettings catering.
- To undertake skills within the team through on job training and tutelage.
- To create contemporary, exciting, appealing and healthy menus in conjunction with the Catering manager and review periodically.
- To assume lead responsibility for food production and presentation at all major events and hospitality functions.
- To ensure food rotation procedures are adhered to. Including the requirement for correct food labelling.
- To work within prescribed budgets and closely monitor waste levels.
- To ensure full compliance with statutory and school regulations concerning hygiene and safety of staff, food and equipment.
- To positively contribute and continuous improvement of the Catering Department.
- To liaise with the Catering Manager in the compilation of special diet menus including Gluten Free and Dairy Free, with others as required.
- To keep abreast of latest developments within the industry through regular training, networking and attendance at trade shows.
- To ensure that all kitchen equipment is used by all staff to its optimum, in a safe, efficient and effective manner.
- To assist in the compilation of special events and promotions calendar.
- To act as an ambassador for the department in ensuring consistent delivery of first class customer service at all times.
- To assist in the nutritional analysis of menus in order to promote healthy eating initiatives.
- To deputise for the Catering Manager as required and as appropriate.
- To work with the Catering Manager and Prep Kitchen Manager to review front and back house practices and procedures on a regular basis.
- To ensure that the very highest standards of kitchen hygiene and cleanliness are always maintained.
Person Specification Head Chef
- City and Guilds 706/2, NVQ level 3 or equivalent
- Intermediate food hygiene certificate
- Experience as an Executive or Head Chef role at a similar level
- To have a Fine Dining background
- Passionate about food and customer service
- Experience of leading a successful team
- Demonstrate innovation and strategic direction in food planning and menu development
- A ‘Can Do’ attitude
- Experience of working within set budgets
- Ability to motivate, inspire and lead staff
- Flexible and adaptable
- Keen eye for detail
- First class communication and inter personal skills
- In depth knowledge of food safety and statutory requirements
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise
- Highest levels of cleanliness and appearance
- Proven desire to exceed expectations
OUTLINE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Hours of Work: The post is full time. You will be expected to work 45 hours per week (including evenings and weekends), in agreement with the Catering manager. Some flexibility will be required in hours due to nature of the post.
Holidays: 25 days plus statutory days per annum to be taken during School holidays.
Salary: Competitive and dependent on skills and experience. This position does not attract School Fee Remission.
Benefits: Contributory Pension Scheme, Lunches, Parking, Child Care vouchers and the use of sports facilities
References: The appointment is subject to receipt of references satisfactory to the school.
Police Clearance: The appointment is subject to police clearance as required by law for the protection of children and to compliance with proof of identity and addresses over the last five years in accordance with the stipulations laid down by the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Probation Period: There is a six month probationary period, with notice of four weeks on either side, after which the post will be confirmed as permanent.
Start Date: Mid August.
Closing Date: 31st July 2020
Interview Dates: Interviews dates TBA
To apply for this role, please click "Apply" to download the application form.