Head Chef - Another Place The Lake
Based in North Cornwall the Group comprises of – Another Place Hotels, Watergate Bay Hotel and Beach Retreats.
Watergate Bay, situated on the coast in North Cornwall is a 73-bedroom hotel with restaurants, bars and a surf school. Inspired by its location, the hotel has developed an ethos of ‘active relaxation’ which is at the heart of everything we do.
Beach Retreats a fast-growing self-catering agency based in Cornwall, with plans for growth across the UK.
In 2017 the team behind Watergate Bay launched a new collection of hotels, Another Place, with the same relaxed, active and social ethos, the first of which Another Place, The Lake, is located on the shore of Ullswater in the Lake District. The plan is to grow the Another Place brand across 5 sites in 5 iconic rural UK locations by 2025. In 2021 the second hotel in the collection, Another Place The Garden, will open in Hampshire.
With ambitious plans for growth across all 3 brands, this is an exciting time for our business.
Another Place, The Lake
A relaxed 40-bedroom hotel on the shores of Ullswater in the Lake District. Another Place, The Lake gives you days together and days apart as a family, time around a table for dinner, by the pool, wild swimming or stand-up paddle boarding on the lake.
It’s about the good things in life; having fun, eating well, letting go.
Food and drink is at the heart of what we do:
A relaxed space with an open kitchen and views of the lake.
Our three-course menu is inspired by the region’s produce – dishes that incorporate heritage ingredients and contemporary interpretations of flavours that occur naturally within the landscape.
The Living Space
The Living Space is a place for eating, meeting, and lounging on sofas. Its food is fresh, bold, and distinctive. Expect lamb tagine, burgers and fries, meze plates, salads, sourdough pizza and doorstep sandwiches.
The bar serves all the usual suspects, including Champagne, wine, coffee, cocktails, and our favourite – a range of gins. The bright, comfortable space has doors onto the terrace.
Having recently obtained planning permission for 8 “garden suites” and shepherds huts as well as a third F & B venue in the grounds, The Glasshouse. These will be developed through 2021 and provide an exciting opportunity to add another layer to the food story at Another Place, The Lake and shape an innovative outdoor/off grid offering – whether for families, small groups, or private events.
We believe happiness can come from the simplest of things. Being with the people that matter, having a moment to relax, feeling fresh air on your face or sharing good food and good conversation.
It’s helping guests find those moments of happiness, away from the complications of the everyday that makes us who we are, draws the right people to us and sees them go far.
Working with us means sharing a way of thinking and doing things – an outlook on life and an appetite for growth that drives us all in the same direction. We know that friendship, connection, flexibility, variety and challenge make our jobs mean more, and we’re always listening.
The Head Chef’s role is to deliver all aspects of our food strategy and offering. With great food a central part of the hotel experience, the job would suit a talented individual with excellent culinary skills and the know-how to manage and motivate a team.
Experienced at senior sous or Head Chef level, we’re looking for a passionate individual with creativity and experience.
Our ideal candidate will be inspired by the opportunity to deliver a multi-faceted proposition ranging from upscale dining, through premium casual to off grid/outdoor.
The head chef will blend global vision with a local ethos and ensure the commercial and people elements of the role are delivered.
- Deliver the Another Place food strategy, ensuring recipes are followed and kept up to date on our kitchen management system
- Drive the development of new menus and dishes suitable for each kitchen, implementing seasonal menu changes to specified timeframes
- Deliver events throughout the year
- Work closely with chefs and kitchen porters to direct, guide and train them in a way that is appropriate for their individual progression
- Maintain good working relationships with all colleagues, motivating both the kitchen and front of house teams
- Monitor, review and record the work carried out by all chefs and porters
- Ensure the business complies with current food legislation
- Work cleanly and tidily, leading food handlers by example on uniform, grooming standards and best practice
- Ensure kitchen equipment is clean and maintained to reduce the risk of injury or failures
- Ensure the correct chemicals are used for cleaning and that all staff are sufficiently trained in handling these products
- Manage payroll, overheads, and contracts in line with the agreed budget
- Review food pricing, ensuring standards are maintained to reflect the brand
- Take responsibility for ensuring food gross profits are in line with budget
Job skills & requirements
- Experience of working in a similar role or as a senior chef for a minimum of three years
- NVQ level 1&2 or equivalent as a minimum
- Food Hygiene certificate level 3 minimum
- Broad culinary knowledge, with International culinary experience desirable
- Solid experience of prioritising and delegating tasks
- The desire and proven ability to train others individually and in group sessions
- A flexible attitude to working hours and variable shift patterns
- Sound financial knowledge
- An understanding of relevant software systems
- A passion for the food industry
- A team player, capable of motivational leadership underpinned by excellent communication skills and a good knowledge of the English language – both written and verbal
- Confident decision maker
- Customer service focused
- Calm under extreme pressure
- Responsible, organised and numerate, with good administrative skills
- Excellent career prospects in an ever-expanding organisation
- Special rates for you and your friends & family to stay at the Another Place hotel collection
- Staff discounts (exclusive access to an online discount platform)
- Social events throughout the year
- Straight shifts
- Food on duty
- Uniform supplied and laundered
- Candidates should provide a short cover letter and CV by clicking "Apply" before the closing date of 19 February.
- The initial shortlist will be completed by the end of February.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an initial on-line chemistry meeting at the beginning of March and final shortlisted candidates will be invited to a half day assessment shortly afterwards.