MK Gallery seeks a talented Sous Chef with experience designing and preparing high-end food for the café and events throughout the building. We’re looking for a creative individual who is willing to participate in creating seasonal menus and designing new dishes. The successful candidate will assist the Head Chef in both culinary and administrative tasks and will provide cover for the Head Chef when they are not on shift. We’re looking for a professional who is dedicated to food quality and sets high standards for their output.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare, cook and present food to the standards required by MK Gallery and its customers
- Ensure all staff members adhere to culinary standards and regulations
- Ensure MK Café always achieves 5* food hygiene standards.
- Work with the Head Chef to create seasonal menus and design new dishes thus providing a fresh look to the menus on a regular basis with consideration given to our audience and customer demands
- Work with the Head Chef to create schedules for kitchen staff to ensure optimum resource management and speed of service
- Work with Head Chef to ensure we are procuring products which are in season and available from local producers and suppliers wherever possible
- Work with Head Chef to train new and existing kitchen staff on the preparation, arrangement and plating of dishes as per the current menu
- Work in a hands-on capacity providing operational service as required
- Track, record and replenish inventory as needed
- Ensure that sufficient stocks of all materials are being kept and stored under correct conditions
- Assist the Head chef to liaise with the Head of Events and Catering and Catering Manager regarding menus and preparation for VIP functions, private hire etc.
- Maintain various back of house spaces – ensure they are kept clean, tidy and organised with all equipment storage labelled and a full inventory updated regularly.
- Consistently update skills and knowledge to enhance menus and delivery of food service
- Undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required by the Head of Events and Catering, the Catering Manager or the Head Chef
- Carry out the responsibilities of the post with due regard at all times to the MK Gallery policies and procedures on Health and Safety, Security, Child Protection, Equality and Diversity, at all times.
- Provide own clerical support.
- MK Gallery visitors
- All Milton Keynes Gallery staff and volunteers
- Private hire clients
- Hirers and promoters
- Head Chef
- Head of Catering and Events
- Catering Manager
- An intrinsic understanding of legislation & compliance in relation to catering and food standards.
- Understanding of best practice within the catering industry
- Knowledge of catering equipment and upkeep
- Extensive food knowledge along with a flair and passion for culinary creativity and design
- Knowledge of purchasing, ordering, receiving, food costing and inventory procedures
- Experience as a Chef in a high-volume restaurant or commercial customer-facing catering operation
- Experience of delivering high-quality dining and service
- A genuine commitment to and passion for working in a customer facing role
- The ability to positively and confidently represent MK Gallery to visitors
- The ability to routinely work out of office hours and over the weekends.
- Fire Warden training
- Qualified first aider
- Advanced food hygiene certification
- Degree or similar qualification in relevant subject
- Good verbal and written communication skills; able to communicate with a broad range of people both internally and externally
- A team player and be able to work pro-actively and independently.