This is an exciting opportunity to join a new business with secured funding looking to attract UK tourists to the beautiful, unspoilt Greek island of Lesvos. We started Real Lesvos as we have had a real passion for Lesvos for over 20 years. It is the 3rd largest island in Greece, and home to exceptionally beautiful and varied landscapes, flora and fauna. There is a huge range of things to see and do on the island, all hosted by the friendly locals. It has a relaxed, authentic and traditional feel which is hard to find, especially somewhere so beautiful.
Very few UK tourists/travellers visit Lesvos, so we believe there’s a huge opportunity to provide authentic, sustainable, varied, high-quality trips to UK travellers with a personal, local feel.
We believe that Lesvos has had a particularly hard time during the last 20 years. Lesvos has been on the front line of the EU immigration crisis coping with the arrival of many hundreds of thousands of immigrants with their usual hospitality - at a considerable cost to the islanders and the local economy. Then, the coronavirus pandemic came along and crushed what was left of the tourism industry on Lesvos. We believe that providing an online professional English-language resource and window to local products will make a real difference to Lesvos, and hopefully create a business that will last for years to come to benefit the local Lesvos economy.
The first phase is to sell accommodation as an online agent. In addition, Real Lesvos will provide lots of useful information for all aspects of travel and holidays on the island. We are starting with a website with plans to expand to a mobile app.
Role Description & Benefits
Real Lesvos is a startup travel company, recruiting its first staff. The Manager will be one of the key initial hires, responsible for managing all activities on a day-to-day basis while contributing to the strategic development of the business.
Being a small company, Real Lesvos will require someone with a can-do attitude, flexibility, energy, a willingness to get stuck in, and with a broad range of competencies.
Hours will start part-time (likely 2-3 days per week) but as Real Lesvos grows, there should be the opportunity to grow the role and the hours, or potentially job-share. There will be the need to work flexibly with variable hours, responding to customer queries, booking issues, website and payments/booking engine maintenance as required.
Remote and home working essential, with the ability to travel to Berkshire or London around once per week, should face-to-face meetings be desirable.
As a manager of a small company with ambitions to grow, many different skills and previous experience will be advantageous for this role.
The key skills are: Travel Industry experience, Online Retail, Marketing and Customer Service.
Other useful skills and experience:
- Fluent Greek
- Previous experience running an online D2C business, preferably a startup
- Project Management
- Website & Tech
- Talent Management
- Managing and working with the Assistant Manager
- Overseeing and running marketing campaigns
- Managing and promoting third party and supplier relationships, ensuring local Greek suppliers in particular are bought into the mission of Real Lesvos
- Managing payments from customers and to suppliers
- Website copy maintenance and admin
- Website customer bookings maintenance and admin
- Where necessary, customer relations and communications, whether over the phone, email or chat
- Designing and running operational processes to ensure bookings and payments are processed accurately and promptly
- Producing appropriate financial reporting and projections
- Ensuring Real Lesvos meets its audit, accounting and tax obligations
- Devising appropriate objectives and feedback mechanisms, both internal and for customers / suppliers
- Responsible for developing strategy in line with market feedback
- Responsible for growing the Real Lesvos team as the business needs change
- Allocating resources and developing team talent
- Responsible for ensuring operational and other processes are running effectively and are appropriately documented
Please apply with CV and covering statement by clicking "Apply"
Closing date: Friday 22nd October 2021.