Clubhouse Manager – Job Description
West Kent Golf Club - is a private members’ golf club in the heart of Downe Village. The clubhouse stands at one of the highest points looking through the valleys of the Kent countryside offering splendid views. The club prides itself on being family friendly and offering a welcoming environment for all.
The Clubhouse Manager, reporting to the General Manager, ensures the efficient day-to-day running of the Club’s clubhouse services and maintenance of the clubhouse infrastructure. This role is critical in maintaining a welcoming, member-focused experience in the clubhouse. He/she will oversee all bar staff employees, the catering provider, members and guests/visitors to ensure that high levels of service are maintained.
- Set service standards in the clubhouse, delivering a friendly, courteous and responsive bar service to all club members and guests.
- Monitor and uphold service standards to ensure that service standards are being met.
- Manage and welcome societies and other visitors, making sure that they are aware of arrangements made for them and of the club’s dress rules and etiquette both on and off the course.
- Manage the steward and clubhouse bar staff (permanent and/or temporary), including staffing levels, recruitment, training, performance, discipline and annual reviews.
- Oversee the franchise caterer and their staff in relation to all club or private functions, to ensure adequate provision of tables and chairs, to cater for these functions and to set out the room(s) accordingly.
- Agree staffing levels with the franchise caterer, in order to maintain and improve member and guest satisfaction with catering.
- Manage the franchise cleaners to ensure they meet their obligations and that agreed service levels are maintained.
Cellar and Bar
- Manage the cellar and maintain bar stocks, purchasing stocks at competitive prices, consistent with good value and timely delivery; ad ensuring that stocks are available for inspection by the contracted stock taker on a monthly basis.
- Ensure regular line cleaning is undertaken to uphold the quality of the drinks provided.
Health and Safety
- Create and maintain an active action plan to ensure compliance with H&S requirements.
- Ensure the Club’s Health and Safety at work policies and procedures are followed in the Clubhouse.
- Perform weekly and monthly health and safety inspections on the clubhouse and bar to check compliance and identify/remedy issues needing attention.
- Manage the drinks and snack suppliers to ensure both the club and the suppliers meet their obligations and that agreed service levels are maintained.
- Recommend changes to service levels and/or suppliers where product/performance is unsatisfactory and/or a better value supplier can be identified.
- Ensure the cleaning contractors maintain a high standard of cleanliness throughout the club premises.
- Maintain the clubhouse and immediate surrounds (including showers and ablution areas) in a clean and tidy condition throughout the day.
- Ensure that the rear of the clubhouse, including external beer standing area, dustbins and recycle bins are kept in a clean and tidy condition throughout the day.
- Ensure satisfactory arrangements for the club’s laundry requirements.
- Ensure that the clubhouse’s heating and ventilation systems are working properly.
- Maintain strict security of the clubhouse, including its daily opening and closing times laid down by the council and the security of the Club’s golf buggies.
- Carry out regular inspections of the clubhouse fixtures, fittings and equipment, furnishings and fabrics and report any matters arising to the GM.
- Carry out regular inspections of the clubhouse surrounds, car parks, trolley shed, buggy storage area and all outdoor lighting and report any matters arising to the GM.
- Schedule and oversee urgent repairs, identifying suppliers, obtaining cost estimates and seeking approval for the works via the GM as required.
Meetings and Events
- Support the GM, catering and office staff, Captain’s and Social Committees in organising meetings and events in the clubhouse where bar and catering services are required.
- Manage the House budget for bar staff and bar products.
- Manage the staff rotas for all bar staff and liaise with the catering franchise to ensure service levels are maintained whilst taking into consideration the staffing costs.
- Make periodic recommendations to the GM for changes to bar pricing.
- Support the GM in creating the annual House budget.
- Account daily for all bar takings and providing an analysis thereof, as required by the general manager and accounts manager.
- Ensure that the bar is operated within the current licensing laws.
- Remain familiar with and ensures GM is informed of all current licensing laws / requirements and any changes that affect the Club.
- The remuneration package will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s level of experience.
- The package comes with a tied three-bedroom onsite flat.