You will work as the ESS Head Gardener in the maintenance and upkeep of all aspects of the organic market garden. This will include extensive crop management, plant propagation, and kitchen gardening. You will be required to work unsupervised aiming for the highest possible standards, providing advice to senior management on all aspects of the organic market garden, whilst working closely with the executive chef.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Head Gardener to join our team to help with the establishment, development, and daily management of our organic market garden. This offers a great opportunity for a skilled gardener to help deliver high-quality produce for our onsite restaurants.
You will help, through your drive and attention to detail, develop and expand all aspects of the garden including the fruit, vegetable, and herb growing, as well as the continued development of our local ecosystem within our environmental sustainability criteria.
To succeed in this role, you should be physically fit and able to manage small and heavy machinery. The ideal candidate will be friendly, professional, and possess in-depth knowledge of effective gardening techniques.
Responsibilities will be but are not limited to:
- Cultivating and establishing a growing garden on site.
- Yearly planning of crop rotations.
- Maintaining records of crop activities and observations.
- Compliance with all relevant health and safety rules and legislation.
- Planning and placing orders for materials and supplies.
- Establishing a composting system.
- Maintenance of an irrigation system.
- Growing and harvesting produce to the quality standard needed for onsite restaurants.
- Liaising with internal and external agencies.
We seek a capable individual who can demonstrate the following key attributes:
- A Comprehensive knowledge of growing, harvesting fruit, vegetables and herbs, with a minimum of 2 years’ experience.
- A comprehensive knowledge and familiarity with most gardening practices, ideally backed up with a formal horticultural qualification.
- Be able to operate garden tools and equipment and have an understanding of basic maintenance on all handheld, pedestrian and ride-on machinery as well as an ability to complete routine pre-start checks.
- Must be a team player, conscientious, friendly, articulate, self-motivated and have a willingness to ‘go the extra mile’ in order to achieve a high standard of work.
- Be organised and methodical yet flexible in your approach to work, have an eye for detail and an ability to work using your own initiative.
- You should be familiar with the safe use of equipment and have a good understanding of Health & Safety legislation
- Hold a valid driving licence.
- Compass exclusive offers on PerksAtWork
- Access to a wide range of programs to train and develop you
- Pension contribution