Salcombe Distilling Company was formed in 2014 by our founders Angus and Howard with a mission to create the finest gins in the world. After two years of extensive product development and the construction in Salcombe of one of the only distilleries in the world directly accessible by boat, we launched our first gin, Salcombe Gin ‘Start Point’ in 2016 followed by our super premium ‘pink’ gin Salcombe Gin ‘Rosé Sainte Marie’ in 2019. We have established ourselves as the UK’s No.1 luxury gin brand and have grown substantially in the last few years, entering the No & Low spirits category with the launch of our New London Light range of non-alcoholic spirits and aperitifs in the UK and US markets. We have gone from strength to strength, growing 100% over the last two years, expanding our reach across the UK and into international markets, building brand awareness and increasing market penetration. We believe that we have created an awesome company culture with a can-do attitude where you can be creative, impactful and make a positive contribution to the future growth of our exciting brands.
Head of UK Commercial Sales
We are looking for a creative, dynamic and entrepreneurial sales professional with a burning desire to win and lead the way in planning, developing and delivering our UK Commercial Sales strategy to take the company to its next level and achieve the huge potential of our exceptional brands.
This is an amazing opportunity to play a key leadership role, reporting directly to the board; growing our brand, developing our sales and commercial team and helping us in our mission to become the world’s number one luxury gin brand and the world’s boldest and most innovative non-alcoholic spirit and aperitif brand.
You will own the commercial sales function, driving the strategic direction and management of the sales team, whilst overseeing and managing the relationships with key national trade accounts. You will have the capability and experience to bring to this role to help take the business to its next level, building on our successes to date.
This opportunity is ideal for someone who has the right mix of leadership skills, passion, energy, technical ability and experience, looking to take the next step in their career path and this role provides career path progression to a board level position.
What you’ll do
- Lead the UK sales team with primary accountability of the sales strategy and execution for the business. Working alongside the Co-Founders and our marketing team on brand diagnostics and brand planning to deliver a collaborative and commercial business strategy and plan that continues to drive high growth in the UK and lead the charge as we expand further internationally
- Provide leadership to both the sales channels and the total business (as part of the senior leadership team) with clear direction to managers to execute plans and deliverables
- Total Commercial P&L and budget responsibility for the UK trade channels
- Develop and implement a sales strategy for SDCo that ensures that Quality, Distribution, Visibility, Promotional activity and Price are in line with agreed targets
- Build and manage the UK trade sales pipeline, taking full control of the end-to-end sales cycle to deliver annual volume, NSV, margin and cash targets in line with agreed targets
- Involved in leading, challenging & embedding strategic and impactful business decisions and processes across SDCo directly impacting the core of the business
- Setting the UK Commercial Strategy and Plans
- Working with cross-functional teams Marketing/Operations/HR/Finance to enhance decision making across the business including NPD, COGs, Projects, Culture etc
- Presenting, defending and where appropriate adapting to complicated/controversial issues or plans that have a significant impact on the business
- Lead the UK trade sales function, managing a current team of regional sales professionals
- Operate as an integral member of the SDCo management team, reporting direct to the SDCo Board
- Create a training programme for the UK Sales Team and coach/mentor to increase knowledge and understanding in the function
- Lead by example with high-level ability to flex tone, style and approach across the business
- Share, champion and live by our values, to inspire and motivate other members of the team
- Identify, analyse and solve complex business and organisational challenges
- Communicate at varied technicality to all levels within the business the solutions and how answers were derived
- Understand the organisational framework to work within (e.g. HR policies, available resource etc)
- Always strive to find improvements and challenge the status quo
What You’ll Need
- Significant, demonstrable expertise & experience of leading sales/commercial functions within the FMCG sector
- Extensive experience working in Sales & commercial functions (circa. 10 years +) ideally with a leading international beverage company
- To be highly numerate with a strong data driven approach to P&L and budget management
- Significant, demonstrable leadership & management experience; able to lead, manage, coach & develop to drive performance & engagement
- Able to apply in-depth knowledge of the industry and commercial awareness to deliver differentiated and profitable business & customer plans
- Expertise in relationship building across various functions across all trade channels (Wholesale, On-Trade, Off-Trade, Mults, Ecomms, Duty Free)
- Broad understanding of commercial & sales theories and models, including financial models
- Ability to generate Sales Tools and Models (for internal and customer facing decisions)
- Has previously implemented successful brand building campaigns
- Familiar with CRM systems and sales performance tracking systems
- Ability to multitask, prioritise and manage your own time effectively, working at pace whilst maintaining our meticulous standards and unwavering attention to detail
- A can-do attitude and happy to roll up your sleeves and get involved in all that is going on at SDCo
- A zest for life and a desire to always go above and beyond to deliver exceptional products and customer experience
- Highly competitive base salary
- Annual company and personal performance bonus
- Car allowance
- Share options
- Annual holiday allowance of 25 days + bank holidays
- Attractive staff discount
- Full time, permanent
- Reporting to: Co-Founder with direct input to the SDCo board
- Location: Flexible, with a preference for London or the home counties with regular visits to our Devon HQ and extensive UK (and some international) travel.
To apply for this role, please click "Apply"